In response to our country entering WWII, citizens around the nation formed Air Raid Warden Units. These units were trained to patrol the community during threats of enemy bombing raids. The Neffs Air Raid Warden Unit realized the need for a local firefighting organization, not only for the immediate war defense effort, but they visualized the needs of a growing community after the was would be over. On April 4, 1942 Arthur Henry, Leroy Reichenbach, Irvin Lengel, James Lauchnor, Clayton Snyder and Paul Kelchner met and organized the Neffs Volunteer Fire Company.
On May 12, officers were elected, Percy Snyder became the first chief and the fire company was up and running. The first truck was a 1936 Ford chassis with a Bean Pump. In the beginning, the apparatus was housed in a livery stable behind the Neffs Hotel.
In November of 1954, property was purchased from Paul Meckley for $5.00 a foot for a total of $2,000.00.
February of 1960 a building committee was formed to plan construction of the original fire hall.
In December of 1973, an addition was added and the building was now capable of housing four pieces of apparatus.
A building improvements committee was formed in the spring of 1998 to replace the old flat roof with a peaked one, upgrade the heating system and replace doors and windows. Another improvement that would benefit all local fire departments was the installation of a large air cascade system inside the engine room for refilling breathing air cylinders.
Currently Neffs Fire Company’s fleet consists of a 2015 Smeal Sirius Engine, 2001 Semo 5000 Gallon Elliptical Tanker with a 1996 Freightliner FL-80 Truck Tractor, and a 2007 Smeal Sirius Rear-mount Platform Tower.
Station 16 has 19 active firefighters and handles approximately 200-225 calls per year.
The following have served as chief over the past sixty years: Percy Snyder, Daniel Keener, Albert Gogel, Charles Lauchnor, Norman Schneck, Lamont Snyder, Roland Snyder, Curtis Rabert, Dave Hamm, Ken Reeve, Colin Andres, Frank Foulke and the current chief Jim Steward.
Horse Livery to the rear of the Neffs Hotel served as a firehouse until 1960